When I was a freshman at BYU I have a distinct memory of sitting alone in the basement of my dorm watching TV when The Family Feud came on. As I watched the show, naturally I played along. A question came up that said "Name something that you would do on New Year's Day..."
The people said things like, "sleep it off", "go to the movies," and "clean up Christmas."
They couldn't come up with the #1 answer.
But I knew it!
I yelled it at the TV screen!
It is what we did EVERY New Year's Day growing up!
Surely everyone else did it too!!!
I couldn't believe those people were so dumb that they wouldn't think of it themselves!
Over and over I yelled at the screen!
Go on a picnic! Go on a picnic! Go on a picnic!
That was about the time it dawned on me that, most likely, the people they interviewed for the survey were not ALL from Phoenix, AZ like myself, and most likely, they were not out enjoying the amazing, most perfect, sunny weather that we enjoy here on New Year's Day.
I don't remember what the #1 answer was,
I am sorry for calling those people dumb (even though no one heard me)
But mostly I am sorry for the rest of the world, who doesn't get to enjoy an incredible New Year's Day Picnic.










7 comments:
What a great post! And I'm reading it as I watch the snow falling outside my window in frigid Utah!
I want to go on a picnic on New Years Day but I have to agree with the first post...it is freezing outside and I don't know where we would set the blanket, except around us to keep warm. It is only 7 degrees today and a bit chilly for a picnic. Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather in Arizona.
Fun Beth! I enjoyed that.
Thank you Bethany, I too feel sorry for myself. I don't think I've ever had a new year's picnic. I have to think the #1 answer would be watching football, or maybe the rose parade. Oh and GREAT photos...your getting good with the camera
That's so funny Beth. I remember when figured out that most of the world doesn't get to be in shorts at the park on New Years Day. Love the pictures. It was a fun.
Or wear flip flops all year round.
Sounds like a lot of fun, but I am still not convinced I would want to go on picnics in January in exchange for an abundance of Scorpions, tarantulas, and rattle snakes.
Post a Comment