Saturday, January 5, 2013

A lot of Background and a Random Conversation (#112)

As a little girl I spent a lot of time being afraid.  

Of talking to new people, I thought I didn't have anything worth listening to to say
Of talking to my teachers even when I really needed help
Of public speaking, I would get actual hives under my hair (maybe that counts as an allergy) 
I was even sometimes afraid to talk to my friends
Of walking down the hall at night 
I knew there was someone hiding in that one shadow waiting to take me away
I was afraid of disappointing my parents
Of our house burning down
Of standing out, so I didn't stand up straight
Of trying my hardest, maybe I wouldn't get any better
Sadly, the list could go on and on

Then one day,
I decided that I was sick of being afraid.
I made a deal with my Heavenly Father that if an idea came into my head 
and it didn't hurt anyone else and it didn't break any commandments,

even if it scared me to my core, 

that is what I was going to do!

I would trust Heavenly Father and know that He did not want me to be afraid.  
He would not lead me down the wrong path
He would make so much more of my life than I could alone

That made all the difference! 

So now on to a "Random Conversation" I recently had with my 16 year old son

He gave me a present for Christmas this year and when I opened it, it was lavender skinny jeans
I have plenty of pairs of colored jeans, they are fun and in style
but lavender?
That scared me! 
 I'm just not sure I can pull that off.


When I was giving him a hug after to say thank you we had this conversation

Me:  Purple Price?
Price:  Come on Mom, you're fearless


That conversation has gone through my head over and over.  
I just keeping thinking, it's true.  
Not because there aren't things to be afraid of but because I trust Heavenly Father. 

 I am not afraid! 

and it feels so good.
Let me just say, I rocked those purple skinny jeans that very day!

Price probably doesn't even remember that conversation,
but I will never forget it.  

3 comments:

Becky said...

That's awesome! And I bet you totally rocked those purple skinny jeans:)

nelly said...

I gotta say when I need to be brave I feel you on my shoulder telling me I can do it!

Melody said...

I think you should print this out and hang it on your wall.

Maybe I will hang it on mine...

It is so inspiring!!!