Sydney was pretty particular when it came to the dress she wanted for her 8th grade promotion. She wanted lace, but not the kind that is black on top with some skin color underneath. No! We both wanted something cute and beautiful that wouldn't make my 13 year old look like a floozie with too much of those long legs hanging out. It is sad that it is so hard to find.
We looked everywhere the internet and the malls around here.
We even looked in Utah (we were up there anyway.) I didn't know what we were going to do.
That's when Sydney said, Mom you should just make it.
Sydney and I designed this dress
We went to our favorite fabric store, SAS,
We found the perfect material, it is a charcoal liner with peach lace on top and bought a lot of it. (Incase we messed up or changed our minds)
I sat down at my sewing machine and followed the example of my mom when she was making our prom dresses, said a prayer
The sleeves and the skirt were made a few different times.
I really didn't want her dress to scream, my mom made this for me!
Every time that I felt unsure of myself or didn't know what to do Syd would just tell me, I know you can do it!
She might have been wishful thinking or just scared she wasn't going to end up with a dress at all but I believed her.
We finally ended with a lightly pleated skirt, and cap sleeves.
please, don't look for the flaws
Sydney looked beautiful!
![]() |

4 comments:
I love it! It sure doesn't scream "my mom made this." Well done. My mom and I resorted to this with my senior prom. We decided to make a dress a week before prom after many unsuccessful searches. Turned out pretty cute. I was one of three girls who had sleeves on their dress.
Nicely done.
What a great job Bethany! My mom made almost all of my promotion and prom dresses. I can't imagine tackling such a project. Sydney looks beautiful.
Impressive! I'm pretty sure petitioning divine guidance wouldn't help me make something that wonderful!
The dress was really so cute. Lilly liked it more than any of the other dresses she saw.
Post a Comment