Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Smokey California

We headed up to Paradise, California after Sacramento. Rob grew up there and we went to see his dad and spend a nice relaxing vacation in the cool mountains by the pool. Well it just happened to be as hot as Phoenix that week. Paradise was pretty much on fire so the sky was so smokey that you couldn't spend a lot of time outside by the pool. You know when you go camping and you're sitting around the camp fire and there is that one person the the smoke keeps following no matter where they move? That is what it felt like. We were in Paradise for a couple of days before Susie and her family got mandatorily evacuated and Rob's dad was under a preliminary evacutation. So we packed up and headed back to Sacramento. When we left it was snowing ashes.
I took some pictures on the drive down the mountain. We saw fields that were burned and houses that were gone next to houses that were saved, signs all over the place thanking the fire fighters. You don't realize what danger they put themselves into until they are saving your town.

3 comments:

nelly said...

It's fun to see a little bit of where Rob grew up. It looks beautiful!

Paige said...

As far as I know Paradise if fine right? That would be scary.

Bethany said...

I am pretty sure all of the fires are put out. Susie and Ellis are both back in their houses now. That much I do know