Monday, December 14, 2009

Sitting at the back of the Cafeteria...

Disclaimer: The following information is strictly from a mother's point of view. I am not sure if anyone else in attendance that day observed things just the way I did, but this is how I saw it.

...with the other parents, a mass of screaming and excited kids in front of me. Out of all these kids just a few would be recognized as the students of the month. The principal approached the front of the stage, and as he called out "active listening" the crowd fell silent. He began to disclose names of the lucky students. One by one the students of the month would apprehensively take the long walk to the front of the crowd to fist bump the principal and get their certificate, giant candy bar, and coupon for a free dinner at Chick-fil-a. You could see uncertainty in many of the kids faces and the principal made a little joke about how hard it was to stand in front of a large audience. Then he called Marley's name...

Marley and her friends, the Sierra's

Marley jumped up and with a confident air glided, bounced, and skipped her way to the front of the room. She stood proud and tall smiling and looking straight into the eyes of people around her and when they were all done she danced back to her seat high-fiving Mrs. H's entire class on the way.




As I watched my daughter walk with such confidence and fearlessness I thought,
"where did you come from? cause it wasn't from me."

5 comments:

Collette said...

I don't know that I agree with you. I remember talking to you once - we were driving in your van, we must have been in high school - and you said something like, "If I want to kiss a boy, I just kiss him." Here I was at the height of my insecurity and I remember just marveling at your confidence. I was completely amazed and dumbfounded because my confidence hadn't arrived yet (but fortunately it did!)

Maybe Marley's confidence arrived before yours did. Maybe she's an early-bloomer in the confidence department - in which case, watch out for high school! :)

Bethany said...

Collette, I was taking a bite of cereal when I read this and almost choked. I still can't stop laughing. I am terrified for highschool.

Julene said...

2 of my most favorite laurels...VIRTUE is confidence. We may not be fearless, but we can be faithful! I love you both dearly and I adore your blogs!

nelly said...

I agree with you Collette. If I had any confidence with something it was because I had Bethany's voice ringing in my ear telling me things like, "No boy is worth that!" and "If he doesn't like you than you are too good for him."

If I had any confidence or attitude about anything, it really was just me trying to do what I thought Bethany would do.

Paige said...

I LOVE this Beth. I think you are both amazing and confident. =)