In 2001 Rob was in the Navy, they had paid for his dental school, so we were paying them back. We lived on Camp Pendleton in California and really loved the area and our friends there. We had three sweet kids and Price was in kindergarten.
Rob went away for some training for about 6 weeks. I don't even remember what kind of training it was but it put Rob at the top of the list. For the following two months after training if the Marines of that area were suddenly deployed, he would be the dentist to go with them. That didn't worry me at all. I was talking to my sister about it and she asked if Rob would end up getting deployed. My answer to that question still kind of haunts me. I said, laughing, "Only if we break into war in the next two months."
It is almost hard to remember how invincible our country seemed back then. How "rich" everyone was and how life just seemed to be a breeze.
The morning of 9/11 I was getting Price ready for school, Rob had been home from his training for no longer than 2 weeks. I turned on the TV. I never turn on the TV before the kids go to school but for some reason that day I did. At first I thought it must be the anniversary of the bombings at the Trade Center and they were just replaying it. It took my mind a few minutes to comprehend what was actually going on. When I realized that this was real, in our country, and that it was happening right now all I could think was, "Only if we break into war in the next two months."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You had that same conversation with me, also. I, too, replayed your words in my mind that morning, and have thought of them many times since. So glad he came home safe!
I am so glad that you are done with that. It was no fun at all (to say the least) to have Rob gone. You did a great job through it all Bethany and so did Rob.
Beverly, that was you I was talking to. I couldn't remember which of my sisters I was talking to, but when you say that it all comes back. Thanks for being such a great friend!
That is so crazy. I'm glad you all made it through that time. I'm glad you don't have to worry about doing that again.
We lived out there then. When the wind changed we could smell burning rubber from the WTC. A guy in our stake presidency wasn't there because he slept in that morning. A fireman in our ward wasn't there because he was in SLC taking out his endowments with the missionaries who baptized him. Johnny was born ten days after that and no one payed attention to the labor and delivery. We were all glued to the news. And now, we are still in a war that seems to never be going away. My sister and John's cousin are both in Iraq. And on that day it did not seem real at all. But it still has not gone away.
Post a Comment