Thursday, October 1, 2009

Yes, that is a broken arm

The day after Sydney's first volleyball practice and a few days before we went to Disneyland Rob and I went to the temple with some friends. On our way home Rob got a phone call from the school nurse (never good.) She had tried to call my phone but it was still off. The one sided conversation went something like this.

Rob: Hello
pause
Rob: Oh really? (not good)
pause
Rob: Sydney did what to her left arm? (not good)

The reasons why at this point I am thinking Rob is playing a trick on me:
1. For any of you that know Rob, he is just kind of that way.
2. Syd has always been a little clumsy, she already has broken each of her arms once before.
3. Since Price broke his arm, I am a little, well kind of a lot, freaked out about broken arms.

Continued conversation
Rob: OK, how long ago?
pause
Rob: We can be there in about 20 minutes
hangup

Rob to Me: So do you want to go get Eliza from the Bennett's or Syd from school?
Me: (my stomach dropping, still thinking he is playing a trick on me) Are you serious?
Rob: The nurse said Syd tripped while she was playing football at recess, fell on her arm, and it is looking a little bowed. (never good)

She has to be in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks.

Thankfully:
1. The orthopedic surgeon put her in a waterproof cast so she could still enjoy the beach. (Although, it was hard to get the sand out and I am not sure we did totally.)
2. Syd is one of the toughest people I know. We gave her ibuprofen periodically and she didn't complain a bit about it hurting.
3. She can't play volleyball this season but the YMCA deferred the $ until her arm is healed.
4. Her doctor gave her clearance to still run for the school's cross country team.

4 comments:

jenniho ♥ said...

Your posts are so funny! (I know the broken arm is no laughing matter but you crack me up!) I can totally relate to a husband who you never know if he's joking or not.

Melynda King said...

Sydney is a though girl! She is going to be one great volleyball player when she finally quits breaking her arms!

Danette said...

WOW!! You have seriously had your share of broken arms lately! Hope Syd heals quickly! It was great to see you and your mom and Eliza yesterday!

nelly said...

I was reading someone else's blog and she told a story of how her husband broke both of his arms. Then their little girl did the same thing. Then their other little girl broke one of her arms. Then she pointed out that 5 of the 8 arms in their family were all broken at once.
Crazy!