Miranda, my sister just turned 40 and we had a surprise birthday party for her. She was completely surprised. Miranda always has great ideas and more than once while we were planning the party I almost called Miranda to see if she had any suggestions.
Miranda has always been an amazing sister. She helped me learn things that my Mom might have been a little too shy to teach me. She taught me about fashion, and makeup, and I remember spending hours baking cookies with her. I remember when she got her driver's license and we got to go to the movies by ourselves for the first time. Our van was packed with friends and we were riding down the street, having the party of our lives. I am sure we were screaming and hanging out the windows. Miranda pulled the car over and yelled, "SHUT UP! This is a lot harder than it looks!"
Miranda has always treated me like her friend instead of her little sister. I love that!
At the party we had a bunch of different yummy soups and crusty bread. We played some games and then shared some memories of Miranda. Here's mine...
When I was a sophomore at BYU I went to school knowing that I needed to get a job. I didn't want a job, so as a result I procrastinated. I had earned money all summer so I made that money stretch most of the year. When the money started to run out I donated plasma (for an extra $12), I also worked for my roommate's brother stuffing envelopes ($5 an hour), I was the extra in a made for TV movie (for $50 a day), and I flirted so I could eat on dates. I was living on bread, the cheapest white bread that I could find for $.33 and I splurged for some margarine for another $.33. I was living on toast.
One day Miranda came over with Tanner to visit me. Tanner was hungry so she asked if she could get something out of my cupboard to feed him. Before thinking, I said she could. She opened my cupboard and there was nothing there. She just looked at me and said, "Bethany?" No one knew that I was so hungry. I hadn't told my roommates, my parents, or anybody. I just started to cry and Miranda understood. I was so hungry. She came by my apartment that night with two huge shopping bags full of groceries. Her and Jim were probably very poor themselves. They had just moved up to Provo and Jim was working two jobs but she came to my rescue anyway.
I lived the rest of the year on those two shopping bags.
That is the type of person Miranda is, she would do anything for the people she loves. I feel really blessed to have her as a big sister and a great example. Thanks Mirky!

3 comments:
I've heard this story before, and I still cried when I read it. You are so lucky to have such great sisters!
I'm sad I missed that. Sounds wonderful.
Thanks Bethany, it was a great night!!! It is awesome to have sisters!!!
Post a Comment