Thursday, May 15, 2008

It is about 2:15 in the afternoon.

It is about 2:15 in the afternoon. That means I have 1/2 an hour before it is time to pick up Marley from school. I should be able to get the laundry turned over by then and I should be able to straighten up the family room....again. After I pick her up she needs to get her homework done before it is time to pick up the older kids. They have about 15 minutes to do their homework before it is time to take them to Activity days and Scouts. Scouts, I only have to take Price to 11 year old scouts about 3 more times before he turns 12. I hope I've taught him all of the things he needs to know before he gets the priesthood. I really think we should put in a garden. Oh, the baby just woke up; I wanted to read my scriptures before that happened. Lane wants to send a letter t Grammy and Papa on their mission; she'll need some help with that. The school nurse just called, Sydney threw up in her classroom. I wonder how long it will be before the rest of us are puking too.

As a young mother I remember sitting in Relief Society listening to a lesson. As I sat there holding my new baby boy I thought about all of the things I needed to remember to teach him. I thought of all of the things I still needed to learn myself. As I sat there I stared to feel very inadequate. After all, I am just an ordinary girl, just a kid myself. How could Heavenly Father trust me with one of His own.

That is when I thought of my own mom. If the prophet said to do something, that is what she did. The prophet said to plant a garden, she did. The prophet said to have family home evening, family prayer, family scripture study, we did. The prophet said to pay tithing, read the scriptures, fulfill her own church callings, and make sure her husband could fulfill his church calling, my mom did that.

It is 5:15. I need to leave to go get the girls from activity Days. Price has half an hour before basketball practice and I haven't even thought about what to feed everyone for dinner. I just get a text message saying Teri broke her ankle. How is she going to take care of all of those kids with a broken ankle? I should take them dinner. I wish someone would bring us dinner. Rob will be home for about 20 min. before he has to go to a meeting. How am I going to work this? I have no idea.

Sometimes life is overwhelming. there are so many places that we are needed and expected to be. There are so many things that we should do. As a young mom sitting in Relief Society holding my newborn baby boy, it dawned on me that my mother, a very ordinary woman was an extraordinary mother because she followed the prophet.

Heavenly Father has given us the tools that we need to be able to work out our lives. My mom was willing to do the things that our Heavenly Father , through the prophet, instructed us to do. If we just do those things and let some of the other things go, somehow, someway our Heavenly Father makes up for where we, as human beings, are lacking. Our Heavenly Father wants us to succeed. He doesn't ask of us more than we can do but he does expect the best that we can do.

It is 7:00 P.M. Rob is gone at his meetings all of the kids are home, the homework is done, dinner is cleaned up, the kids have all showered, and everyone is making cards for Grammy and Papa on their mission. Life just doesn't get any better than this.

No comments: