Monday, March 2, 2009

The Weather


I served in the New Hampshire - Manchester mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a number of years ago. I served in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. One thing that struck me there was how often people talked about the weather.


Coming from Phoenix people just don't talk about it much because most of the time the weather today is exactly the same as the weather yesterday. There isn't a lot of variation.


In New England if we asked someone how they were doing more often than not they would give us a weather report.


"So how are you today?"
"Looks like rain."

"How have you been?"
*"Theahe's a noaheasteah coming in."

"Hey, how's it going?"
**"Ah you giahl's prepahed foah the ice stoahm?"



I miss New England's unpredictability. In my last area Sanford, ME we would walk by a bank on our way home every night. Like a lot of banks it had a marque that would show the time and temp. I remember that Sister Smith and I were so excited when it was finally above freezing at 9:00 p.m., the time that we usually passed it. That meant spring was on its way!


Here, In Arizona we can depend on sunny skies. All winter the weather is pretty much perfect. Every once in a while you need to put on a jacket but most of the time we just wear them for the cuteness factor. But then comes the day that you realize, spring is on it's way and the perfection is over until next November.

That is why I choose to write this post. On this day, the 2nd day of March, 2009 my home thermometer read 95 degrees. We will have more good days here and there but they will become fewer and farther between. So I just wanted to say, "Good bye perfect weather we'll miss you and will be awaiting your arrival in the next 8 months."

*There's a nor'easter coming in.
**Are you girl's prepared for the ice storm?

5 comments:

John said...

I don't ever really miss ME, especially the weather. My mom called and talked about my Dad having to go out sick and shovel 2 feet of snow on the same day that it was 70 degrees here. I do remember having my mood and the weather being very related when I lived in Maine. I think the weather in Wichita is perfect. It is the only thing I will miss about living here.

When talking about where to move, however, I asked John about AZ and he said no way, and not because of the heat. I think as long as we have central air and a pool the heat is not too bad. He said it was the abundance of scorpions, rattle snakes, roaches, and prickly dessert plants. We plan to move to UT where the most family is, but I am dreading the winter, even thought I know it doesn't compare at all to ME.

Sorry this is so long. It must be the Mainer in me having an emotional reaction to the weather. :|

Unknown said...

Love the mission picture/clothes!

I'm feeling the same way! I'm not quite ready for the heat!

nelly said...

Twue twue twue. Blake and I are definitely mourning the first signs of the heat.

jenniho ♥ said...

Wow...we're only like 3 states away from you but It feels like the oppposite ends of the universe. We have the perfect weather from June - 'till Oct. The snow is now thawing and maybe in a couple of weeks we will see bare ground...trade ya. Oh and I too love the floral mission dress!

nelly said...

They way you wrote down the accent cracks me up.