Rob took Price to the ER last night and I stayed home with the girls. Price got in really fast and everything was going so well. At least that is what it seemed. They were "done" setting Price's arm at the emergency room. The doctors were wrapping things up when they realized what they thought was a scratch on that arm was actually his bone coming through the skin. (This is where my stomach starts to hurt again.) Therefore classifying it as a compound fracture that wasn't set. They decided that he needed to go to Phoenix Children's Hospital so Pediatric doctors could clean out his wound and attempt to set the bone, again. While Price was on his ambulance ride, somewhere around 1 AM, Rob picked me up so we could go to the hospital and my great friend Melynda came to sleep over with the kids.
We had been at the hospital for a while when they wanted to try and set the bones one last time to avoid surgery. They wheeled Price into a room that was quite a bit bigger. Our nurse (I wish I could remember her name but my mind is mush) administered the drug to put Price to sleep and then at least six people(nurses, doctors, etc.) came walking into the room strapping on lead aprons. The aprons were so they could x-ray him multiple times during the procedure to assure the bones were moving in the right direction. The nurse told us that we would want to leave at that time (she was right, I've seen too many movies where they are setting someones bones.) Rob and I sat in a tiny little "Family Room" waiting. One of the doctors came in about 45 minutes later as well as a nurse. They were both sweaty and out of breath. The doctor said that it was pretty tricky because every time they would get the bones in place they would slide out again so they had to strategically get the bones in place and set the splint to keep them there. That doctor was fairly confident that he would avoid surgery. I hope!
After that we basically sat waiting for Price to wake up enough to drink some apple juice, eat a Popsicle and be able to walk. He woke up pretty quickly and downed some apple juice because he was so thirsty. Everyone was afraid he would throw it up but he just went back to sleep. Out of no where Price would blink his majorly blood shot eyes over and over and say, "That apple juice has a funny after taste." Kind of funny and a bit disturbing watching your child come out of a drug induced sleep.
We finally got home this morning at around 7AM. Just in time for Rob to take a shower and go to work. I hope this makes sense. Thank you everyone for your comments and calls. We feel so supported with great friends and family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
We'll pray for him! Glad to know that he's avoided surgery (at least for now). You must be hashed. I hope tonight is completely uneventful for you.
Oh Beth I feel for you. That sounds awful. Poor Price. He'll be in our prayers for a speedy recovery and no surgery. Thanks Melynda for helping Bethany and Rob. I've thought that many times. I'm very thankful that you are Bethany's friend.
Oh. This whole this just sounds so awful.
I'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you.
At least lucky Price got to sleep through the whole thing. I hope you are ok!
Hey, Bethany... That is horrible! We've done that a few times with Brad, and his arm was pretty ugly before they set it also - I couldn't even bear to take a picture! Keep an eye on that break, because on Brad's first break, they had the same thing happen - they were using the same x-ray machine - anyway, they would get it in place, and it kept slipping out. We finally demanded an orthopedic surgeon, and he went straight to surgery. What he found was when the bone broke, the sheath that covers the bone had ripped unevenly and slid over the end of one of the bones. Therefore, it wouldn't have healed correctly without being removed from the end of the bone. They ended up putting in 2 pins to keep it in line. Hopefully that's not the case, but just thought I'd let you know it could happen. By the way, you should be glad you weren't in the room - we stayed and I was in tears because even though he was 'asleep' and didn't remember any of it later, he was totally crying and yelling when they were manipulating his arm! Ouch!
Oh, Price! That hurts!! I hope you get feeling better soon enough to swim and go to the lake! You know, when we watched you there were no broken bones... just saying.
that is so sad I hope he gets well soon
How awful! It sounds like a terrible experience for everyone. Thank heavens for anesthesia! I hope it heals well and he gets to enjoy at least a little of his summer.
I'm so sorry that this happened to you Price. I was happy to see you yesterday, and see that you are doing o.k. Bethany, you held up VERY WELL! I was happy to help with the girls. You have a great group of offspring! Thank you for helping me ALL DAY yesterday. I think WE did a great job decorating!
Post a Comment