Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ski Trip

For my birthday we took the whole family up to Sunrise to go skiing. We spent three days up there having a great time. We usually go on vacations with friends or cousins, this time it was just us. It was the best!

Price has snow boarded before and tried skiing this time. He was a natural. He passed up Syd, Mar, and me in skills quite quickly. It made Sydney and Marley mad. They both mentioned it to me a couple of times. He was going over jumps by the second day.

Sydney's skills came back to her quickly but this time she was more cautious than in the past. That comes with be a little wiser of your own limitations. She had a couple of nasty falls and has a big black bruise on her cheekbone where she had one particularly bad face plant. By the end she was doing so great!

Marley the first day was a bit like Joelle (for any of you that watch the Biggest Loser). She just knew she was giving it her all but would scream and fall down if she got the slightest bit nervous or thought it might be too hard. By the second day Marley would go down anything and everything in a fierce snow plow. She didn't seem scared at all. She told me once on the ski lift that when she gets scared she just says to herself, "I can do anything!" (that is a quote from the movie Madeline, we watched it on the drive up.)

Lane was in lessons the first day and then skied in front of Rob holding onto his poles the rest of the time. She was the most aggressive skier of all the girls. You could tell she felt invincible just because she was connected to her dad. Now if she could only learn to stop we could let her out on her own.

Eliza spent the three days in Daycare. I hope she isn't scarred for life. She's only 2 she won't remember this...

Next year maybe Lane will be able to handle it on her own and Eliza can ski with Rob. I can't wait! It just filled me up to be out on the mountain and see my family skiing in front of me. The best!

4 comments:

nelly said...

Just as long as you take her skiing when she is old enough she won't remember being left behind. Being the youngest I only felt bad about the things that I never got to do but I was fine when I got my turn.

Melynda King said...

Snow skiing is a great family vacation. It is a sport that a whole family can do together. It is not just one person enjoying the sport while the rest of the family sits and watches. We have so many great memories skiing, and I am really excited that your family does too!

John said...

I love it the best on the rare occasion that we have a vacation with just our family. Congrats on the fun trip.

Celeste said...

Ski trips are the best. I am so glad you take your family to do fun things together. Your kids are adventurous!